So how do I write e-Course Modules?
People often ask me how I write e-Course modules in terms of my writing process and also how I deal with resistance and procrastination.
In this blog, I dish all the details!
Watch the video below and then check out my top tips and process below.
- I use this module planner each and every time I write a module as it takes me through a focused and structured process and ensures that I don’t cover too much content.
- I think through the learning objectives, activities, delivery methods and contributors.
- Then procrastination tends to hit! But I’m always amazed that you just need to shut off distractions, set-aside time and just get started!
- I take headings from the module plan and put it into a module template and these become my headings and table of contents
- I like to include 3-4 cool quotes to add to my modules. I search for these on Pinterest or I create my own! This is a little bit of procrastination from the real writing.
- I like to find some relevant articles or statistics that support the topic I am writing about and to extend the learning.
- Now you just need to sit down and write.
- Turn off all distractions (yep that’s your phone, email, Facebook and everything else!).
- The key to getting it done is just starting to write.
- Once you get going flow kicks in and you get inspired.
- I will often break it up into sections or chunks and write one chunk in each sitting so that it is not too overwhelming.
- Once it is written I print it out and edit it by hand.
- My community manager reads everything I write for the e-Course Launch Formula and provides a second edit and makes sure I have not assumed too much knowledge, finds terminology we need to clarify or perhaps recommends some other resources. It is important she is really familiar with the content of my program.
- All my content is designed by my graphic designer and I highlight what content needs to be broken out into feature boxes or graphics.
- When I write I think about how visually it can be brought to life to assist the learning, not just the words.
- Professional graphic design of the modules has elevated my e-Courses and dramatically changed the learning experience by having module documents that are beautifully designed, that break up the content and visually represent what I’m talking about. It really enhances the learning experience for my participants.
I hope this was helpful. Don’t forget to download my e-Course module planner!